Monday, January 7, 2008

2007 Is History - 2008 is Here






There is an old saying that I've heard that says, "Whatever you do on New Year's Day is what you will do the rest of the year." Therefore, I always try to do something I enjoy, like being outside in the forest, being with good friends, having a good meal, singing "Southern Gospel", and relaxing. Eighteen friends and I did just that on January 1, 2008. God is Good!


It's hard to believe, isn't it? So much has happened over the past few weeks and I never did really like reading history - that is - until I have grown older. Now, of late, it seems more and more important to me. Could that be because I'm almost a part of it? Most likely.

On Christmas Eve morning Frances' Mother closed her eyes here and opened them in that eternal realm where Jesus is. What a grand way for this grand lady of 97 years to cross over the divide from humanity to the supernatural. I was highly privileged to have been asked by the family to have a part in the funeral which took place on Wednesday night after Christmas and then had the privilege of reading a poem written by Tabitha Jaycox (One of Sister Hildreth's grand-daughter's) at her burial on Thursday morning. Now each Christmas will be special because it will bring back a flood of pleasant memories of this dear saint of God whom we all love so much. Quite frankly, I was concerned much about Frances' health during this time but want to thank those of you who prayed for the family - for Frances seems stronger to me now than she did in the immediate weeks before her Mom's death.

On Saturday before Christmas we had Mom over to our house to celebrate the Fred Brannen Christmas along with all three daughter's and their spouses and all of their children and spouses and their children and their spouses - for a total of 30! Yes, we have great grand-children even tho we are so very very young!!! We had a grand time of celebration with gifts for everyone. It was great to hear Mom repeat "Little Annie and Willie's Prayer". I've never heard her do it more eloquently and with such dramatic emphasis that it held even the little ones spellbound to the very end. Then watching the little ones take gifts outside and enjoy playing and laughing together "put the icing on the cake" as some of us old-timers say.

Now I'm back in the office again and working feverishly to stay informed about the horrible atrocities being committed against each other by tribal factions in Kenya. This is post-election violence. I'm sure all of you are hearing some reports through the normal news. I've been in phone contact with our regional superintendent (Jurgen Rudolph) our overseer of Kenya (Moses Njoroge) our Bible School director (Gordon Bloodworth) our missionary from Kentucky (Aaron Doan) ad our orphanage director in Kibera, Kenya (Jim Womble) and his assistant (Francis Wamweya). All are continuing to ask for prayer - but today all are safe and no Church of God member has been hurt physically that we know of. Two members have had their homes burned. About two hours ago the Internet News (allafrica.com/Kenya) had reported that the opposition leader had called off a march he had planned for tomorrow. At our School in Eldoret we have been providing for 100 + refugees. In a church about 30 miles away we have 1200 to 1500 who sought protection there. So - as you can see - my days are busy now. Just pray with us for God to bring revival and other good out of this. He is able.

HAPPY 2008 TO ALL

3 comments:

L A Brannen said...

Fred,
We did have a wonderful time at your camp. Oh, by-the-way, I met Bro. Shawaway's (I'm pretty sure the spelling is wrong) wife. She was in our Sunday School class but I didn't get to speak to her then, but she was in Sis. Maloney's wednesday night class and I made a point afterwards to meet her. I wasn't sure it was her but it was. We're so glad that Francis is doing well. Maybe the mental struggle for her Mother is gone now. Revelation 14:13 And I heard a voice from heaven saying unto me, Write, Blessed are the dead which die in the Lord from henceforth: Yea, saith the Spirit, that they may rest from their labours; and their works do follow them. KJV

Favorite One said...

My hubby sure enjoyed your "camp meeting" too. He looks forward to it more each year. It makes me feel good that he wants to spend New Year's day with you. *We did have a delightful time during the holidays too. I too enjoyed watching the kids playing together, laughing & enjoying their gifts. *Luv u dad!

Fred said...

Lowell, it's Ephraim and Margaret Shawa. Also it was Iniobong Ukpe and Peter Gathimbi who were the other two adult Africans - plus four children of these men (whose names I cannot remember)that were all with us. Glad you enjoyed it all.

About Me

My photo
Cleveland, TN, United States
I am Fred Alton Brannen, the son of Louis A. Brannen (deceased) and Bonnie Jones Brannen, Louis was an Ordained Bishop with the Church of God. Bonnie is an Ordained Licensed Minister and at 89 years of age is still actively engaged in speaking and singing engagements. I am married to the former Frances Hildreth. We celebrated 53 years of marriage this past June and we are the parents of 3, grand-parents of 10, and great-grandparents of 10. I pastored in Tennessee for 24 years and served the Church in some capacity in missions for over 23 years. I retired from full-time ministry in August of 2008 but remain active, speaking and singing and teaching whenever opportunity affords itself. In January of 2010 I received a letter of commendation for having been credentialed as a minister in the Church of God for 50 years! My family is very important to me. Our get togethers are always noisy affairs and most times will include family sing-alongs. The children love their Mom's cooking so we have the privilege of seeing them regularly! WE LOVE having them over.

TheCabin on Day One

TheCabin on Day One
Fred Alton